Assuming you have a Java 1.6 VM installed then download the disk image and copy the application to /Applications or wherever you want it installed.
All Other Platforms
Download the latest stable version from Sourceforge or the latest, less well tested, build from HEAD and be sure to have a 1.6 Java VM available and installed (with JAVA_HOME correctly set). From 1.12 onwards, 1.6 is the targetted VM due to its improved Swing performance. You'll have to set JAVA_HOME manually in the startup scripts if this is not your default.
For more information on the installation footprint, look at the Installation Layout page.
The installation footprint has changed for 1.10 and you only need to follow these instructions if upgrading from an earlier version. You can safely simply overwrite any previous installation when upgrading from 1.10 to 1.12 and above.
We recommend you keep your hermes-config.xml separate from the install so you can easily upgrade without affecting existing configurations. Follow the steps below:
- Hermes now comes as an IzPack installer. Download the installer and run it by either double clicking, or at the command line with java -jar hermes-installer-X.XX.jar
- Do not install Hermes with a path with spaces in, some JNDI implementations bundled with JMS providers have problems with this.
- Be careful not to overwrite any previous hermes-config.xml file. This is your precious configuration.
- In your home directory (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Colin for Windows or /home/colin for Unix), Hermes will create a .hermes directory when it is first started and will write a default hermes-config.xml. After starting Hermes for the first time, stop it and overwrite the configuration with an existing hermes-config.xml.
- If you wish to store your configuration elsewhere, set the HERMES_CONFIG environment variable to that directory.
- This directory is the working directory for Hermes where hermes.log and the message stores will be written. You may wish to copy the MessageStores directory from any existing Hermes installation to migrate message stores to this new installation.
To run, click on the shortcut in the start menu or run either the $HERMES_HOME/bin/hermes.bat or $HERMES_HOME/bin/hermes.sh scripts.
Pretty much all the configuration is in the hermes-config.xml file however a few things are configured via system properties and haven't yet made it into the XML:
||When set to true any text messages stored as XML have their payload Base64 encoded
||When set to true message stores are disabled